Saturday 12 December 2015

Why Your Health Needs a Garden

Today is Sunday. Since yesterday, I’ve been feeling a tiny, burning reminder on the Friday’s afternoon I spent behind the house in my organic garden. So, there I was smiling while working, and just when I was taking care of my tomatoes a Viber call came in. One of my best friends was on the line. It was a perfect timing ‘cause I needed to rest anyways. We talked about an interesting cook recipe which includes exotic purple kohlrabi and onions. After a while, we finished our little chat and I went back to hanging out with my lovely tomatoes.


Why am I telling you all this? This morning when I woke up, I felt that familiar feeling of fire burning in my muscles. Oh yes, my old friend “”muscle inflammation” decided to pay me a visit. This forced me to look for some answers on the question why human health needs a garden. This is what I’ve found out.


Dr. Garden is on Your Side

Some medical studies have shown that gardening has positive effects on decreasing agitation and anxiety among dementia patients. The study has suggested that when being in problem brain focuses on basic senses and memories. This kind of memory reset is understandable concerning the fact that even people with no neurological difficulties like you and me are able to feel stress-relieving effects of gardening.


Meet Microbes - Your New Friends

Interesting specie of bacteria called the Mycobacterium vaccae is commonly found in soil. You have good chances of ingesting or inhaling it when you garden. I read that this useful microbe has been found to reduce anxiety and calm nerves. It also stimulates the production of serotonin – known as the hormone of happiness. Knowing this, I could freely say that gardening can increase your healthy food consumption. Given the health benefits of spending time with this friendly microbe, my opinion is that microscopic organic diet has a bright future.

How do you feel when you garden? Let’s exchange our experiences on health and gardening.






No comments:

Post a Comment