Wednesday 23 December 2015

Useful Info on How to Keep Your Basil Safe from Diseases

I don’t know about you, but when it comes to cartoons I think that Walt Disney was a mile ahead of all others. What I think about this matter is irrelevant though. It is important that my children think the same.


One of my children’s favorite cartoons is Disney’s mystery-comedy adventure called The Great Mouse Detective. It’s about Basil, the mouse detective whose character is based on the tradition of Sherlock Holmes.
 
Now, an interesting event happened just recently when my children heard me saying that basil had been attacked by some bacteria. Of course, they thought that I was referring to “Basil”, the mouse detective from the cartoon, so they said that I shouldn’t worry because at the end Basil always wins. This funny conversation inspired me to write a post about how to keep your basil safe from diseases.  Keep Your Basil Safe from Diseases    


Who Has a Pick on Your Basil?

If we’re talking about basil diseases, then your top suspects would be Fusarium wilt, gray mold, root rot, leaf spot and downy mildew. All of these diseases favor warm, wet climates. In addition, they will not hesitate to bother your sweet basil in conditions of high humidity, poor air circulation, prolonged leaf wetness and overwatering.  
                 
 What are Your Options?

The golden rule says that prevention is better than cure. In this battle I suggest that you use only disease free, top-quality seeds, plant your basil in well-drained soil, provide good air circulation by using wide field spacing, and implement drip irrigation to avoid wetting foliage. Rotating the crops might also help. Finally, remember what someone very dear to me once said - “don’t worry, at the end basil always wins”.

Does your basil have problems with diseases? Leave a comment if you need help!

                              


                                                                                                         






                                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment