Tuesday 8 December 2015

Growing Your Own Organic Food: Make Your Wallet Happy

A time has come for another food shopping adventure of mine. I have a grocery food list, wallet, money, and credit cards with me and I’m ready to go. However, I’m not so happy to be going. You wonder why? The answer is simple – grocery shopping and foods shopping in general has started to become quite tiresome to me. I spend too much energy trying to calculate and compare countless food prices and discounts.


Unfortunately, in my case buying organic foods creates the same feeling of uneasiness. No, no, no, correction - it used to create. From the moment when I’ve decided to grow my own organic foods, I’ve got rid of a headache called price calculations. That’s peachy, you would say, but does it pay off to grow organic foods? Well, let’s have a look, shall we?


First Thing’s First – Check the Numbers

Organic foods are more expensive than their conventionally grown or GMO-God-help-you-with-that counterparts. Among various reasons why organic foods don’t come cheap I’ll mention only few - higher costs of production, processing, marketing and distribution, environmental protection regulations, animal welfare standards, lack of investments, avoidance of health risks to farmers (no pesticides and harmful chemicals).

However, this doesn’t mean that you should purchase organics at all costs and afterwards declare yourself bankrupt. There’s another way. A smarter way. Growing your own veggies & fruits can substantially reduce your grocery bill throughout the year. My advice is that you start keeping records of your organic gardening activities.


Keep Full and Accurate Records of Your Gardening Investments and Results

If you want to be acquainted with your gardening investments vs. results ratio, then you should keep records. Or write a diary. Last year I checked the prices of comparable produce (organic food, if possible) at the closest supermarket and I found out that my own grown veggies such as tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, basil, zucchini, beans, spinach, and black peeper saved me over $700 in one year alone. This year I enlarged my garden space and I expect to save much more money.

But hey, don’t take my word for it, start your own organic garden and simply do the math. You may be surprised at the results!

How long is your grocery list? Have you thought about growing your own foods and reduce your food costs? Let me know by leaving a message in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment