Sunday 27 December 2015

Vertical Farming: Sky's the Limit

Even though I understand that chances of you not having a clue about vertical farming are slim to none, I’ve decided to write a few lines about this new, exciting gardening horizon. The thing is that I’m fascinated with a brilliant option of being able to use limitedspaces for growing plants.

Since I live in a city where space is worth more than gold I have to highlight that vertical farming finally gives an opportunity to megalopolises and urban cities to maximise the use of their limited space potentials. In short, I believe that for vertical farming only sky’s the limit (click on thumbnail below to view large image).


Your City Can Feed You

In my recent post that deals with small-space gardening (make sure you check it out if you have trouble with limited space gardening) I presented several solutions for gardening in limited spaces such as tiny apartments or other small confined accommodations. Among other things, the aforementioned post merely touched the undreamed-of potential of indoor vertical gardens.

What until recently looked like a science-fiction movie, today is a dream come true. Cities and buildings slowly, but surely become paradises for growing plants. The secret hides in two magic words – hydroponic gardening.

Hydroponic Gardening Leads the Way

This fascinating gardening technique is based on growing plants in mineral nutrient solutions. It is a soilless variation of gardening that includes two culture methods: solution culture and medium culture. Since hydroponic is a wide topic I’ll go into details in some of my future posts. At this moment I can tell you that my experience with hydroponic growing of veggies & herbs is outstanding.

Aside from the obvious space advantage, hydroponics offers the opportunity of using a controlled environment system for growing plants that are not traditionally grown in certain climates. The bottom line is that vertical farming opens an entire new chapter in the area of food production that we could easily title “Food Production for the Future”.

Check my blog and web page regularly for more useful posts on hydroponic gardening and gardening in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment