Tuesday 26 April 2016

Planting Secrets: Why Does Busy Lizzie Looks so Busy

From the beginning of human history, people have thought about flowers and plants as something mysterious and meaningful. Not so long ago I learned that symbolic use of flowers was mentioned in Egyptian, Chinese, Roman and Greek manuscripts and early writings.

Meanings are associated with many flowers such as carnation, snapdragon, love-in-a-mist, daisy, forget-me-not, sunflower, busy Lizzie and more, although planting each of them is not a special secret. That is, except for one. Busy Lizzie looks so busy that I took an extra mile to share with you a couple of facts about this specie of the genus Impatiens.      


Busy Lizzie Flower is Famous for Its Continuous Flowering

Busy Lizzie Growing Requirements

Busy Lizzie, known in the US as patient Lucy, is a delightful flowering plant without which my garden patio wouldn’t look so lighthearted.

Within the group of my hanging plants I take care of three busy Lizzie varieties: Valero Impreza H Pink Splash, Valero Impreza H Red and Valero Impreza H White.

They all thrive in well-drained, fertile soil. I’ve noticed that my busy Lizzie varieties work well on the northern side of my garden and would suggest to you to try that location at your home.      

How Did Busy Lizzie Get Its Name

Busy Lizzie is a proud representative of Impatiens, species of flowers that are famous for blooming during most part of a year.

Originated in East Africa, busy Lizzie comes in various colors like the pink, red and white varieties that I grow, plus there is orange variety and a range of bicolor types including the New Guinea hybrids that produce multicolored leaves.

If you’ve dreamed of having a flower that keeps blooming, this is the one. Enjoy growing it!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment