Sunday 24 April 2016

Garden Diary: How to Transplant Flowers Outdoors


The topic we’ll be discussing today already has its intro. I’m talking about the post that brought you one step closer to the wonderful world of garden transplanting. Moving veggies and herbs from indoors to a new location outdoors is not very different from doing the same with flowers. And if you’re looking for some info on how to transplant flowers outdoors, grab you garden diary and start writing notes because this is how it works.


Transplanting a Flower is about Spreading the Beauty around You

Check the Outside Conditions

Before making a mistake, check for the outdoors conditions such as the temperature range, sunlight and soil status. Take growing carnations for an example.

Chinese carnation variety called Heddewigii Gaiety XL thrives in warm, bright and sunny locations and wouldn’t manage very well if conditions were otherwise.

Get the Soil Ready

By mentioning the importance of soil preparation all the time I realize that I may sound like a boring mother. But hey, where would we be now if there weren’t for our mothers? So, pay attention, please.

The soil preparation strategy I apply includes mixing the soil with compost or other organic fertilizer. Don’t do this if the soil is soggy for you’ll only get rock-hard clumps and achieve nothing.

If you have a clay soil like I do then you shouldn’t be worried about planting English lavender, for instance, since this charming flower is very fond of calcareous soil.

Dig a Hole

After I set the soil I always do the inevitable. And that’s to dig a nice, small hole. Now, I don’t mean to small. Bear in mind that your flower roots are not suppose to feel as if being squeezed under a hydraulic press.
 
Gently take Your Plant out of the Pot

You’ve come to the sensitive part of your transplanting adventure. At this point you want to remove the plant from the pot, but not by pulling it out.

I go for a much better alternative where I grab the plant around its base and tap the pot to separate the soil from pot’s interior. Then I simply take the whole “package” out (check out the above photo).

Offload the Edge of the Root Ball

Now, you want to keep your touch for a little more because you’re going to need it to cut down the part of the root ball. I always sharpen my focus when doing that, because I am aware that if I hurt the roots I might jeopardize my plant’s future. Take an extra care with the flowers that have an intertwined root system such as snapdragon.    

Place the Flower’s Roots in the Ground

I once saw a gardener who while planting a flower almost buried it completely. You’re guessing right - this is not the way. Remember that you’re not a gravedigger and your plant is not supposed to go to heaven before its time. 

I have a bonus tip for you here - don’t pack the soil too tightly. An adequate quantity is the one that can support the plant and hold the roots steady. 

Do the Watering

Congratulations, you’re done! Actually, only one thing is left. Good guess - it’s watering. Let me see - few days ago I transplanted my lady-in-a-mist flower and I’ve been watering it regularly ever since. Now it’s your time to transplant a flower!

Let me know how it’s going with transplanting flowers outdoors and happy growing, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment