Sunday 10 April 2016

Garden Transplanting Expert: How to Prepare the Soil


Today’s chapter of my blog is dedicated to the topic of garden soil preparation. As you’ve been able to read in my post about the springtime garden prep for transplanting, the way how you manage to prepare your garden soil will have a significant affect to your harvest results. From an expert point of view, I’d wish to reach out to you and share some valuable info on how to do it properly. 


Preparing the Soil is the Key for Successful Plant Transplanting

First Lesson: Check the pH

As mentioned before on my blog page, the safest way to determine what minerals are lacking or exceed desired quantity is to get yoursoil tested.

These tests include measuring of soil pH and the level of vital minerals such as potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and nitrogen. And the best time to do it is in the fall or right now because that’s when the weather is most stable.

Second Lesson: Pull Out the Weeds

Most vegetable crops will have serious problems to fight effectively against heavy weeds. That’s where you jump in. Since I don’t have a huge garden, which is a plus concerning weed, I remove it by hand.

Vegetables like spinach, peas, tomatoes and peppers don’t feel very comfortable when weeds are around. When I come to think of it I realize that I haven’t had a pleasure of meeting a single plant that feels well when surrounded by a hostile ocean of weed. 

Third Lesson: Add Organic Matter and Amend the Soil

One gardening friend of mine told me yesterday that last year he had a worse harvest than he had expected. He talked about checking the soil temperature and choosing the sunny planting location, but he never said a word about adding organic matter and amending the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment