Wednesday 6 April 2016

Planting Outdoors: Sunny Location is a Plant's Destination


“Sunshine, sunshine reggae, let the good vibes get a lot stronger.” Whenever I hear these Bob Marley’s lyrics I’m not able to do anything else but to smile. It’s the same smile my outdoor plants have on their faces, on a sunny day. And what I like most about seeding plants in sunny garden locations is that while I’m taking care of my plant’s future destination, I’m also exercising and getting some fine, bronze suntan.


Sunny Garden Place is Where Your Plants Should Live

Which Plants You Want to Put in Sunny Garden Locations

There are two things I watch for when picking the right, sunny and bright location for a direct outdoor planting. Firstly, I make a wish list of plants that I would like to seed.

I’ll give you an example - let’s say you have a rectangular garden, you’ve checked the soil temperature and you want to start your own organic garden. If I were you I’d put lettuce in the centre and surround it by fennel. Around that circle I’d add Mediterranean herbs such as basil, parsley, rosemary and dill.

On the right side I’d put carrots, beets and radish, and on the left side I’d place cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and peas. Plants on both sides of that garden and Mediterranean herbs would prefer full sun, while lettuce and fennel would feel better in partial shade.

Make Sure Those Plants Share Your Opinion

Wonder what that means? It means that you’ve just learned the second thing - not all plants thrive in full sun. As explained in my post regarding the right amount of light exposure, most of my plants prefer sunny, bright locations.

The bottom line is that root crops like ginger and leafy plants such as cabbage don’t tolerate full sun equally and therefore should be planted accordingly.

As usual, I’m here to give you a hand if anything doesn’t go according to your garden plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment