Sunday 24 April 2016

Planting Outdoors: How to Grow Carnations


Very few flowers around the world can match the popularity of a carnation. What’s more, I can hardly remember a flower with as much symbolism. I don’t know if you knew that carnations were used in Greek ceremonial crowns, but if you’ve ever watched a Hollywood mafia-related movie such as the Godfather trilogy than I’m quite sure you know that this flower used to be loved on the other side of the law. In case you decide to plant carnations outdoors, here are some tips on how to grow them effortlessly.



Sunshine is Your Carnation’s Best Friend

I believe that this is the case for all flowers or at least most of them. Anyways, a minimum of five hours of sun each day does wonders for the carnation varieties I love to grow. My favorite carnation types are white arnation Chabaud Jeanne Dionis and multicolored Chinese carnation Heddewigii Gaiety XL.  

Thinning Carnation Seedlings is a Must

Growing carnations outdoors is very similar to an indoor alternative. I wait until the last frost is gone and then I put the seeds in fertile, well-drained soil until the seedlings are growing.

Once the seedlings enter their teenage period I’d suggest thinning them to allow plenty of growing room. Basically, growing garden flowers such as English lavender, snapdragon or love-in-a-mist can’t be done effectively without thinning the seedlings.

Have a question about growing carnations? Please leave your comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment