Thursday 7 April 2016

Outdoors Seed Care: The Importance of Soil Temperature


I guess that both you and I are not thrilled when we have to spend time in cold or overheated rooms, houses or spaces. I mean, who does? This may sound a bit surprising to you but your garden plants share this delicate issue of inadequately warmed places, or soil in their case. Picking a sunny garden location is not the only condition your seedling requires. Oh, no. Much more important question within the topic of outdoors seed care refers to a crucial importance of soil temperature.


Soil Thermometer is among Your Best Garden Advisors

Soil Thermometer is a Very Handy and Useful Tool

I realize that getting all garden tools is an expensive and time-consuming process. The good thing is that you don’t have to purchase all of it at once.

To tell you the truth, I myself don’t own at least half of the garden tools. What I don’t have I sometimes borrow from a neighbor or a fellow gardener. What I do have are the basic garden tools and one of them is certainly the soil thermometer.

Most newbie gardeners are not sure when to use the soil thermometer, which is why I usually suggest it to be used early in the morning. This is the crossing time between night and day and that’s when you’ll be able to get an average soil temperature.

Different Plants Love Different Soil Temperatures

You should always keep in mind that plants are like people. There are differences among them.

I try not to forget the fact that planting before the soil temperature gives a green light is not a wise move. In such occasions even the best outdoors seed varieties could later face problems like reduced fruit set, stunted growth or slow germination.

For example, my tomatoes, cucumbers and peas thrive in the soil with at least 16° Celsius.

Corn, beans and some greens need 18°C, while watermelon, peppers and squash show signs of true happiness when the soil is around 20°C.

Did you find this post useful? Please leave your comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment