Saturday 23 April 2016

A Gardener's Guide to Planting English Lavender

I remember once watching the quiz ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire’ where one of the questions was about which of the listed plants were edible. Four possible choices included rosemary, basil, chives and lavender. As you may know, my blog page contains more than one post about the first three plants, their growing requirements and culinary features, however planting English lavender is a chapter I’m about to add to my gardener’s guide.  



Lavender is a Super Useful Flower   

Requirements for Growing English Lavender

English lavender, like most flowers, prefers full sun with well-drained soil and a good air circulation. The matter of soil type is vital for the drainage. In case you have a heavy clay soil, like I do, try adding pebbles or even better, river sand.

I’ve discovered that English lavender belongs to the cold-hardy species which are not very fond of excessive soil moisture and humidity. Personally, I mostly grow lavender in pots but hey, I know people who made it in their outdoor garden, so may consider giving it a shot as well.

Fun Facts about English Lavender

It might not possess the elegance of a carnation, the exotic name of a snapdragon or an alluring looks of a love-in-a-mist flower, but the English lavender can truly be counted for a super plant.

Soaps, shampoos, essential oils, perfume, you name it and lavender will provide. Maybe you didn’t know that lavender is a gentle sedative and antidepressant and that Cleopatra used the lavender perfume to seduce Julius Caesar and Mark Antony!     

That said, in terms of growing lavender I’m here to help you but as for its usage, well, I’m sure you’ll make it on your own.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment