Monday 2 May 2016

Garden Symbolism: What Your Flowers Stand For


Most of the things we do or say on a daily basis carry along some kind of visible or invisible symbol attached. I’m sure you all remember the unbelievable popularity of Dan Brown’s book ‘The Da Vinci Code’ in which the Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is trying to solve the problem of an ingenious code hidden in the works of Leonardo Da Vinci. Well, guess what? For me, the world of garden flowers is as full of symbolism as Leonardo’s was. Follow up this post if you’d like to find out what your flowers really stand for.


Singapore Orchid is the Queen of Flowers   

Sunny, Sunnier, the Sunflower

Compared to the charming Singapore Orchid, gleeful sunflower looks like it should put on some makeup. However, I think that charm is not all that counts in the world of garden flowers.

The above mentioned Singapore’s national flower is a rarely beautiful flower indeed, but the sunflower too has a few cards up its sleeve. Sunflower is often connected to pure thoughts. Given its name and how it got it, that makes perfect sense to me. From where I’m standing, the symbolism ofsunflower is multilayered.

Growing Daisies Means Growing Innocence and Cheerfulness

If sunflower is not your number one option, then you may want to consider growing daisies instead. And when doing so, carve somewhere in your mind the thought that you’ll be actually growing innocence and cheerfulness as well.

Native to North and Central Europe, daisies are easy to grow and popular both for gifting and planting in your garden. Therefore, daisy is a doubly winner.

Forget-Me-Not Says It All Loud and Clear

Speaking of flowers and symbols, I somehow assume that you’ll agree with me on this one - forget-me-not is a VIP symbologist among flowers.

When I see someone growing a forget-me-not flower I always remember a friend of mine who had her wedding venue decorated with dozens of forget-me-not Blue Ball flowers. Now, that was a feast for the eyes in my opinion.       

Busy Lizzie Don’t Feel Dizzy

I found that the most spectacular flowers are the ones that strongly associate my thoughts with something. For example, the abundantflowering of busy lizzie makes it so busy that it might feel a little bit dizzy.

Playing with words aside, but busy lizzie looks as if it wants to say ‘hey, I’m all set and ready, why won’t you let me blossom all the time’. The truth is that in spite of what you say or don’t say, busy lizzie will proceed according to its mastermind plan.

Looking up to its distant cousin daisy, busy lizzy also decided to offer two important benefits to the gardeners who grow it. This flowering herbaceous perennial plant grows well in shade as in sun and it is capable of blooming all summer long.       

Now that you know a few facts about the connection of garden flowers and symbolism, it might be even more fun for you to grow and nurture them. Do let me know how you’re dealing with that. Wish you all a happy flowering spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment