Tuesday 8 March 2016

7 Top Guidelines for Watering Houseplants


Once the weather gets ugly and cold, most of the gardeners go through the same oh-my-God-what-will-I-do-now phase. But the truth is that there’s no reason to despair because indoor gardening is available for everyone. I recommend that you sit snugly back in your chair and relax while going through the rest of the post that’ll give you a closer look at the 7 top guidelines for watering houseplants.  

A Self-Watering Plant System

1. Prepare the Pot - As you know, plants need water. This refers to indoor plants as well. What they also need is a place to grow in. My first tip for correct indoor watering is - prepare the pot adequately. It means that you gather the right plant container type or growing item and a suitable type of soil.

2. Get a Larger Pot if Plant Roots Tell You So - Plants do speak. They speak through their roots, buds, stems, leaves and fruits. I frequently observe my indoor plants and listen to what they have to tell me. The difference is that I listen with my eyes, not with my ears. Therefore, when you notice that the roots of your houseplant ate the potting soil and grew bigger than you had expected, then you should consider moving it to a larger pot.    

3. Organize a Watering Schedule - By this I mean that you have to focus on the timetable of your plants, and leave your own behind. I also always take an extra mile to find out more about the water requirements of my indoor plants. For example, succulents like Herbal Green Purslane only need to be watered when the soil is completely dry.   

4. Don’t Forget to Check Your Plants Regularly - If there’s something wrong, you’ll have enough time to fix it. I’m used to check the saucer under the pot. It works as a polygraph. If there’s water on it, it means that you overwatered your plant. On the other hand, if the potting medium is too dry, then you have to add some water. Dropped yellow or brownish leaves are also signs that shout - hey, we’ve got a problem here.      

5. Use Your Finger As a Controlling Device - I have to underline here that this step is critical for determining if the soil is dry, moist or sodden. Depending on what your finger tells you, you’ll know whether it’s time to add water or stop watering for a while.  

6. Water Until Water Goes Through the Bottom Side of the Pot - After doing this, I Immediately spill out the water from the saucer. When it’s dry, the potting medium can create gaps in the pot. Adding water until it goes through the pot is how I help the medium to regroup its position in the pot.

7. Get a Self-Watering Plant System (check the photo above) - Both you and I have to admit that it would be great if, at least occasionally, plants could drink and take a shower completely on their own. And they can, but unfortunately only in Alice in Wonderland. So, unless you know someone who can take you there, disregard this small joke and give it a try with the first 6 guidelines.

Did you find this post useful? Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts on watering houseplants!



No comments:

Post a Comment