Wednesday 9 March 2016

5 Amazing Tips for Setting an Optimal Indoor Growing Temperature

Growing veggies and herbs indoors is a rarely fulfilling feeling. And it’s not only my opinion. I hear it from other gardeners, too.

Indoor gardening mostly requires an optimal growing temperature, proper watering, adequate source of light, growing item for seeds, and the right plant variety for indoor growing.

In this post you’ll be able to read some amazing tips for setting an optimal indoor growing temperature.  

1. Determine Your Plant Type

By this I mean that you should determine whether your houseplants are tropical or cold-hardy plants. For example, most of my houseplants like hot peppers are tropical plants and they can’t tolerate cold temperatures.

2. Get a Thermometer

Once you’re sure which variety you’re dealing with, you’ll need to get a tool that will allow you to measure both temperature and humidity at the same time. I couldn’t tell exactly which model of thermometer is the best buy option but I’d always go for the one that is as accurate and affordable as possible.

3. Set the Right Temperature

This point is directly connected to the first one. As I mentioned, the majority of my indoor plants thrive in hot weather conditions and therefore I keep them in rooms that are between 18-22 degrees Celsius. As far as I’ve noticed, these are the temperatures at which most houseplants feel quite comfortable.  

4. Adjust the Temperature According to Plant’s Growing Stage

When talking about the feeling of pleasantness that my plants experience in the grow room, I have to highlight that it is tightly related to the growing stage of the plant.

My plants prefer a bit higher temperature during the vegetative stage and a few degrees less in a flowering stage and at nights (not less than 13 degrees Celsius). Just to be clear, it isn’t the room temperature that you need to pay attention to, it is the temperature directly under the growing lights.     

5. Control the Process

The above mentioned steps will lead you nowhere unless you monitor the process. I’d like to point out that I combine an exhaust fan with an air conditioner system, but I never allow the system to be in charge, and neither should you.     


Are you looking for more info about growing indoors? Ask a question and I’ll be glad to give you some extra tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment