Friday 11 March 2016

10 Best Plants for Easy Indoor Growing

From Europe, Asia and Africa to America and Australia, from traditional family farms to small-space gardening, more and more people across the world are starting to appreciate the values of growing organic foods indoors.

In the recent years I’ve realized that newbie growers who wish to grow veggies and herbs indoors have common issues such as indoor growing temperature, watering strategies, growing lights, and choosing the appropriate items for starting the seeds.

Since I’m a huge admirer of indoor gardening I wanted to give you a hand by making a super list of 10 best plants for easy indoor growing.      


Indoor Growing Brings More Life into Your Home

1. Carrots

If you heard that carrots can boost your eye health and didn’t buy it, you were wrong. Recent studies confirmed that carrots, being a great source of carotenoids, can indeed help decrease the risk of many eye diseases. Carrot Lange Rote Stumpfe Ohne Herz is especially dear to my sense of taste due to its incredibly sweet flavor and I warmly recommend it.


2. Garlic Chives

It is with a heavy heart that I must say that presently more people have heard of Thailand’s famous soup with coconut and seafood, as well as Japanese dish Nira-reba, both with garlic chives than my garlic chive salads or garnishes but I’ll keep working to increase the popularity of my salads.

3. Radishes

If Prince could have the Purple Rain, I see no reason why gardeners couldn’t have radishes like the Purple Mini Radish. In fact, features like unique color and superb, juicy, sweet flavor make this radish variety one of my children’s most favorite vegetables.

4. Kale

Chinese kale, red Russian, purple curly kale, organic dwarf kale, you name it, I’ve grown it and consumed it. And guess what? They are all astonishingly tasty and super resistant. For more info, I’d suggest you to check out the website section about different kale varieties. 

5. Swiss Chard

Swiss chard is not only one of the tastiest Mediterranean vegetables but it’s also one of the most nutritious ones. Recent study has confirmed that Swiss chard varieties such as Bright Lights, Rhubarb and Lucullus contain at least 13 different polyphenol antioxidants. In one word - yummy!

6. Beets

Even though beets prefer an open garden space, I’ve managed to grow them indoors as well. Speaking for myself, I’d always give a head start to hydroponics than regular indoor growing, but you can try both ways.

7. Mustard Plants

I don’t know about you but I adore those interesting stir-fried recipes and some of them include a mustard variety like Tatsoi, which is awesome for its crisp, rich flavor. According to my experience, the seeds should be sown indoors one month before the last frost and transplanted outdoors after it.

8. Spinach

You all know how much Popeye loves spinach and what happens when he eats it. But did you know that this cartoon character is believed to be responsible for boosting consumption of spinach in the US by the third?

9. Iceberg Lettuce

Various varieties of iceberg lettuce like Saladin and Maugli are loaded with vitamins A, C, and K, and they also contain folic acid and iron. However, my numero uno iceberg salad is Larsen, basically because this variety is resistant to mildew. 

10. Honey Stevia

In case you’d like to add a note of sweetness to your indoor gardening, there’s no better plant for that purpose than honey stevia. It’s very easy to grow and I always use it as an alternative sweetener instead of far less healthy option of sugar.

Find out more about plants, veggies, herbs and flowers on my blog page and website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment