Tuesday 8 March 2016

7 of the Greatest Items for Starting Seeds Indoors

Imagination is a desirable human characteristic. At least I think so. You surely know that people, with the help of imagination, are capable of doing many wonderful things.

For example, imagination can help a gardener to save some extra money by using the stuff that would eventually go into a garbage can.

This way of thinking has turned out to be very handy for me, especially when I was trying to save a couple of bucks.


And as you know, saving money is a quite popular idea. For all of you who would like to be penny-wise gardeners I made a useful, cost-effective list of 7 of the greatest items for starting seeds indoors.   

Different Items for Starting Seeds Indoors

1. Hydroponic Starter Kit

This option is by far the most cost-effective option you got. Wonder why? It’s because starter kits are reusable and they are time-savers, meaning that you don’t have to make them.

And if you’re about to become a hydroponic gardener, which I highly recommend, you’ll not be able to make a single step without a starter kit. It’s up to you to decide whether it’s going to be a medium size kit, large size kit, small size planting pot kit or large size planting pot kit.  

2. Peat Tablets

The next option is peat tablets or pellets. Sure, you can buy them. But you can also make them by using genuine, old-fashioned, cotton cheesecloth.

There are a couple of DIY tutorials on the Web referring to the procedure, so I advise you to look up for them.

3. Peat Pots

Peat pots are also called peat moss pots. They are very popular for growing vegetables and even tree seedlings.

I’ve found peat pots to be extremely useful because they can go right into the soil, which allows me to plant quickly a large number of not only super popular warm-season vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, but also other veggies like cucumbers, squash, and watermelons.  

4. Cardboard Boxes

If your intentions of making a bigger indoor garden are more than just intentions, then you might want to consider some other gardening money-saving options. One of them is cardboard boxes.

Now, devoted gardeners know that it’s not about the looks of a planter, but rather about its performance. I’ve used cardboard boxes from restaurants and grocery stores as growing items a dozen times and I believe that they are perfect because I was able to find them easily and for free.

5. Egg Cartons

I guess you eat eggs. If you don’t, you must know someone who does. That gives you two options. Either you already have egg cartons or you ask someone to give them to you.

I use them when starting a dozen seedlings, and then I cut them one by one when the transplantation time arrives.

6. Egg Shells

Egg carton boxes usually come with eggs. And eggs have egg shells. I like to use egg shells as a compost material but they are even better as seedling pots.

All I do before using them is make a small hole in the bottom of each shell for drainage. 

7. Yogurt Cups

Yogurt lovers will be delighted with this option. After you drank your yogurt, don’t throw away the yogurt cup. You can find another purpose for it.

I found out that these suitable plastic containers are versatile and can also be used as small, convenient seedling pots.

In case you have comments or questions about indoor seed starting supplies, feel free to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment