Friday 12 February 2016

Tomato Answers - What is an Open-Pollinated Tomato


Growing delicious tomatoes from seeds is what most gardeners do with great devotion. I know a couple of gardener gurus who consider growing tomatoes to be a very serious project. This particularly refers to the vital part of the gardening plan when a gardener needs to select a proper seed variety. My advice on this is to grow an open-pollinated tomato. If you are not sure what open-pollinated tomatoes are or how to grow them, keep on reading and extend your knowledge on the subject.

A Happy Marriage Between Two Open-Pollinated Tomatoes


Divine Taste of Open-Pollinated Tomatoes

I don’t like to propose something without backing it up, which is why I’m giving you two main reasons for growing open-pollinated tomato varieties. The first reason is taste.

Let’s be honest, although some tomato types are so beautiful that they look like Da Vinci’s master pieces, you all know that taste plays the main role in this show. Typical examples of super delicious open-pollinated tomato varieties are elongated plum tomato Speckled Roman and determinate Russian heirloom Black Sea Man.

If you’re looking for something more exotic, then I suggest that you grow an extraordinary cherry tomato Raspberry Baby. Personally, I adore the superior taste of Raspberry Baby, which is why I nicknamed it Raspberry Baby - the king of flavors.

Save the Seeds for Future Planting Seasons

I’ve come to the second reason for my respect and love towards open-pollinated tomatoes – useful and durable seeds. The possibility of saving the seeds for future planting seasons is where open-pollinated tomatoes score an A+ on my tomato test.

You don’t have to take my word for it, but open-pollinated tomatoes like indeterminate heirloom Great White have such an astonishing creamy, meaty mild flavor that will make you wait for the next seeding period with a mixture of great expectations and silent impatience.     

Have you tried to grow an open-pollinated tomato? Ask questions and I’ll do my best to get you the right answers!




No comments:

Post a Comment