Saturday 2 January 2016

Protect Your Garden Herbs with Natural Pesticides


Most gardeners shiver at the mere mentioning of the word pesticide. It is because chemicals are the first thing that crosses your mind when you hear or read something about plant spraying. Did you know that you have a safer and cheaper option for getting rid of pests? O, yes, natural herbicides is a two word answer that might put the gardening smile back on your face.


Brilliant Orange Citrus Oil and Soap Spray

My no. 1 natural herbicide is made of water, Orange citrus oil and soap. I use 3 tablespoons of liquid soap, 30 ml of Orange citrus oil and 4 liters of water. Then I shake a newly obtained blend for a couple of seconds. Spraying my plants with this solution has showed to be an extremely effective treatment against pests like annoying ants and slimy slugs.

Orange citrus oil is just one option here. You can also use Rosemary oil, Thyme oil or Mint oil instead.

Speaking of herbs, I’ve conducted a very interesting research on howto grow rosemary in humid climates and here is what I’ve managed to find out.

Awesome Garlic and Chili Peppers Soap Spray

Garlic is a gift from heaven for various human health problems. But, guess what? Mixed with chili peppers it’s also a very powerful natural herbicide.

This is how I do it – before bringing the plants indoors for the winter I put 10 garlic cloves, 5 hot chili peppers and 2 cups of water into a blender and give it a good stir. Then I strain the mixture, add 1 tablespoon of liquid soap and stir again.

For 1-liter spray bottle I use 2 tablespoons of concentrate and add water to fill the rest of the bottle. It is important to know that you need to make a few days break between sprayings. I’ve noticed that this herbicide really works for my plants.

I would love to hear your experiences with natural herbicides!


No comments:

Post a Comment