Friday 8 April 2016

Organic Garden: Get It Ready before Transplanting a Plant


No matter how much knowledge I manage to gather about gardening not a day goes by that I don’t learn something new. And if there’s one thing I’m not short of, then that is motivation. Self-motivation in getting closer to nature and plants every day is one of mine major long-term gardening goals. As for my today’s goal, I’d like to help you clarify the basics about how to get your organic garden ready before transplanting a plant. Here we go!   


Make Sure Your Garden is Ready for New “Tenants”  

Garden Soil is Your Plants’ New Home

The most common mistake gardening novices make is using poor quality or unprepared soil. I’ll give you a parallel example. When you go to sleep, you look forward to having a clean and tidy bed, right?

Your seeds and future plants deserve nothing less. In the matter of soil preparation, whether it’s for planting or transplanting, I follow a set of simple rules that I found to be very effective.

My early preparations for the spring gardening season also include clearing the drainage system, repairing raised beds, pulling out young spring weeds, mulching and fertilizing the soil. And after I’m done with the “boring” stuff, I surrender myself to the charms of seeding.      

Seeding Directly Outdoors is Allowed for Certain Seed Varieties

It has proven to me that soil preparation is the base of my garden world. However, the main role in everyone’s garden is given to seeds.

In the last few days I can almost touch nature’s springtime wakeup call. Within that context, seeding directly outdoors can be quite a challenge.

Choosing the right seed variety for outdoor planting is where I start from. Early “cool-season” crops such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce are good to go immediately after your garden work is done.

Soil Temperature is in Charge
Hitting the right moment for planting has been a piece of cake for me since I’ve realized that soil temperature is the boss inthe planting process.

Luckily for you and me, a very useful little thing called the soil thermometer has been invented. Whoever is responsible for that genius invention deserves many thanks from me.

The measurement of the warmth in the soil is thus your finest assistant. Remember that the perfect soil temperature for planting varies dependent upon the variety of vegetables, fruits, herbs or flowers you intend to grow.  

Don’t Forget That Sun Means Life

I see all of my fellow gardeners and myself as well as nature’s diligent pupils. We learn, we gather knowledge, we thrive and grow. It’s the same story with your or mine garden plants.

In nature’s gardening school, that we all attend, sun is known as one of the most respected teachers. Having the sun’s good reputation in mind, I always take extra care to pick a sunny and bright location for planting the seeds outdoors.  

In case you missed some of your garden steps on the way, let me know and we’ll find them together and put them back to where they belong!

No comments:

Post a Comment